The trials and tribulations of a self-published steampunk writer

Sunday 20 May 2012

What? No Prussians?

Red Mercury will be set in a Europe teetering on the brink of war, around the end of the 19th century. I've avoided being too specific as I wanted to mess around with some of the historical context. Notably, I've got the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia kicking off about twenty years early.

As soon as I decided to write a steampunk book, I thought it would be cool to set it in Soviet Russia. The obvious temptation is to include the pesky old Prussians as the enemy, but I figured that as my book is bound to be chock-full of steampunk cliches, how about we avoid a big one up-front?

Don't get me wrong, I like a Prussian mech or u-boat as much as the next man, but I thought those pesky Commies looked like a more promising bunch of adversaries for my intrepid band of Imperial heroes.

So if all goes according to plan, Red Mercury will be like Guns Of Navarone meets Jules Verne. With Russians.

We'll see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment